Deadline of this Job: 03 October 2022JOB DETAILS:
As per the basic principles of the ENDC, the national dialogue process is expected to be transparent, inclusive, and trustworthy warranting continuous media engagement and communication to ensure the public ownership and commitment to a constructive engagement of the public in the national dialogue process. This task thus needs the support and contribution of a qualified technical expert who can professionally engage the media, the public, and other relevant stakeholders through the development and implementation of an effective media relations and engagement policy of the ENDC.
It is due to the foregoing that the ENDC is seeking to fill the Social Media Monitoring Expert who will continually prepare media and communication content and messages that the ENDC wishes to engage the public through different media outlets throughout the national dialogue processes. Under the Media, Communications, and Partnership Coordinator, the Social Media Monitoring Expert will be responsible for the development and dissemination of content that will be communicated to the public, different segments of the government, development partners, and other stakeholders through social and mainstream media.
The ENDC is looking for a Social Media Monitoring Expert with good writing and analytical skills to monitor social media outlets as well as mainstream media to develop regular reports in English and Amharic for senior management.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Develop a social and mainstream media monitoring template
• Regularly provide media monitoring update reports (in English and Amharic) for the Commission
• Regularly monitor social media, including analytics of the Commission’s platforms, to guide the ENDC’s messaging and engagement strategy
• Develop a social media posting clearance procedure for the Commission
• Provide responses to social and mainstream media queries
• Liaise with media to place content – features, opinion pieces, interviews –presenting the ENDC’s vision on the national dialogue process
• Organize regular press briefings on the ENDC issues
• Coordinate with relevant senior staff at the ENDC to arrange for press briefings and interviews
• Support the engagement with key editors to develop an awareness of the role of media in the ENDC process as one of the key agents of change.
• Develop a program for a series of seminars with social media actors, editors, and reporters
• Work closely with the Commission’s media team to develop social media content and campaigns
• Regularly conduct content audits to eliminate redundant and/or duplicate information
• Performs related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualification and Experience Required/desired
• Advanced University degree in journalism, Media and Communications, media development, peace and security studies, political science, social sciences
• 5-10 years of hands-on experience in social media monitoring, including workflow development, content development, training, and reporting
• Experience in developing and delivering training modules on social media monitoring that cover the following topics:
o Social media monitoring tools and features
o Qualitative data analysis
o Visual report development
o Generation of insights and related recommendations; and
o Risk mitigation, including information security and bias detection
• Experience using media monitoring methodologies to make actionable recommendations on online/offline interventions that can be implemented by civil society, media, and/or government partners
• Experience in the usage of social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, LinkedIn, or others
• Previous experience with government and or international institutions
• Demonstrated experience in organizing press briefings, interviews, and TV-appearances
• Experience in liaising and engaging with different functional units, the media, private sector, governmental and non-governmental organizations, and civil society
• Knowledge of Ethiopian history, developments, and political dynamics
• Excellent drafting, analytical, and communication skills
• Ability to cope with physical hardship and willingness to work extra hours in an environment with limited infrastructure, proven resilience to high-stress environments and situations
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to work as a member of a team, with people of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity
• Professional fluency in the English and Amharic language, both oral and written; knowledge of other national languages is an advantage
• Experience in the use of computers and office software packages, social media accounts, and applications for data collection, content development, communication, and media engagement activities
• Achievements of Results: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by the deadline in his or he duty
• Think Innovative: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is a pragmatic problem-solver, makes improvements
• Learn Continuously: Open-minded and curious, shares knowledge learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
• Adapt with Agility: Adapts to change, constructively manages ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
• Act with Determination: Shows drive and motivation and confidence, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity
• Engage and Partner: Political savvy, navigate the complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
• Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciate/respect differences, be aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Functional/ Technical Competencies:
• Demonstrated commitment to ENDC mission, values and principles as stated in the proclamation
• A good knowledge foundation to apply conceptual models in the development and application of media engagement policy and application
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Displays cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability
• Current knowledge of political issues and contexts in Ethiopia
• Ability to work under pressure under tight deadlines and in fluid and sensitive socio-political situations
• An effective and energetic collaborator, with the ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
• Strong self-motivation and innovative skills, with the capacity to work independently and meet deadlines.
• Knowledge of conflict, peacebuilding, mediation, and dialogue concepts and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations/ implementation of national dialogue processes
• Knowledge of required steps, approaches, and techniques to plan and implement media engagement activities
Knowledge Management and Learning:
• Promotes a knowledge-sharing and learning culture in the ENDC
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in National Dialogue and required skills for a successful implementation of the processes
Partnership and Networking:
• Engages and fosters strategic partnerships with the media, political actors, government and non-government organizations, the private sector, UN agencies, funds, and programs
• Shares knowledge and activities at the ENDC and other venues
Innovation, Outreach, and Communication:
• Writes clearly and concisely in English and Amharic.
• Communicates within and at large, participates in peer communities, and engages substantively
• Demonstrates effective presentation and writing, and strong analytical and strategic skills.
• Demonstrates effective management of social media platforms
Senior Nutrition researcher for National Information Platform for Nutrition job at Ethiopian Public Health Institute
Deadline of this Job: 02 October 2022JOB DETAILS:
Job Description (Main Duties and responsibilities)
The Senior Nutrition Researcher will be responsible for planning and implementing the feasibility study, including forming and leading of the feasibility study team. Close consultation with EPHI/NIPN at every step is required. The researcher will work at EPHI in a close consultation with FSNRD-NIPN which will arrange for workstation; and report to director and/or NIPN project coordinator. The researcher is expected to provide written report of his/her performance monthly and progress will be monitored including through periodic briefs/updates based on the time frame. The detailed tasks of the researcher will be included and responsible for:
. Developing detailed study design including a time line and research techniques, sample and methods used in each step. The research design needs to be approved by EPHI
. Conduct data collection of the feasibility study
. Elaboration of a detailed RPHIs analysis, including:
. Current situation in the RPHI
. The potential of the RPHI in terms of their financial and material resources, human resources and capacities and the implementation of the policy inputs.
. Activities of other donors / implementing organizations with view of having possible synergies with the government programs and plans
. Regional priorities for the RPHI
. Review of staffing concept, including:
. Number and profile of experts and support staff in the institute
. Recommendations for capacity building measures necessary for RPHI staffs and local implementing partners
Identify the barriers and challenges in the implementation of the government programs and working with the partners in the region – if any
PhD in Human nutrition/Applied human nutrition, Sociology, economics, public health and related fields from a recognized academic institution.
Specialized training in research methods, public health systems, feasibility assessment or related is an advantage.
The incumbent must have experience of at least Six years in research work and experience related to the assignment. Hands on experience in designing research tools, training, and supervising research teams; preferably in research institutions is an asset.
Ability to conduct high quality research, meet deadlines and respond to requests and feedback provided timely and appropriately
Excellent track record in designing and conducting quantitative and qualitative research, analysis and evaluation.
Knowledge on the current nutrition policy, strategies, and programs.
Experience in undertaking research with multi-sector in Ethiopia
Knowledge of Ethiopian governance and office bureaucracies;
Ability to conceptualize, devise and lead research, research strategies/ research themes
Demonstrated experience in writing research proposals; designing tools; and conducting interviews
Experience working with/knowledge about existing health policies, the Ethiopian health sector development program strategies and plans and the health system strengthening activities of the country
Be familiar with local and international research ethics
Demonstrated research communication and interpersonal communication skills
Be able to use statistical software such as STATA, SPSS, R or SAS etc.
Excellent written and verbal communication and reporting skills in English
- The successful candidate will be based in EPHI in Addis Ababa with possible travel to regions.