Deadline of this Job: 26 September 2022Job Description
The Center for Victims of Torture (CVT) is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to providing trauma rehabilitative services to survivors of gross human rights abuses, including torture, and works toward a future in which gross human rights violations cease to exist and victims have hope for a new life. We are headquartered in Minnesota, USA with offices in Africa and the Middle East. We work locally, nationally, and internationally through programs that provide trauma rehabilitative services, conduct technical assistance and capacity building to human rights activists, civil society organizations, and local service providers around the world who can prevent and treat gross human rights abuses, and advocate for human rights and an end to gross human rights violations.
This position is related to a program designed to address the mental health needs of torture and trauma survivors living in Alemwatch refugee site, Dabat, Amhara Regional State, and conflict-affected populations in surrounding areas through direct services and capacity building of refugee and national staff.
General Description of Role
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Assistant is a member of The Center for Victims of Torture (CVT) program team in Dabat. Under the supervision of the M&E Officer, the M&E Assistant will support the collecting, entering, and compiling data pertaining to project activities, including confidential clinical data. S/he will implement and maintain data collection systems; monitor the integrity of collected data; support the data collection process generally; contribute to reports for internal and external audiences; and consult with and support managerial and clinical staff about program monitoring and data-related issues. The M&E Assistant will closely work with the M&E Officer, Zonal Manager and HQ Research Department.
MAIN JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
10% Activity Monitoring
• Collaborate with M&E and clinical teams to develop and implement systems to monitor ongoing program activities, including referrals, community outreach, screenings, trainings, workshops, and other activities. Coordinate monitoring efforts with project partners where needed.
10% Support Collection of Clinical Data
• Support clinical staff in collecting client data. Work with clinical staff to ensure adequate procedures are in place to securely and reliably collect, enter, and store confidential client information, especially as forms are transferred to and from clinical and M&E teams for data entry. Maintain and ensure adequate supply of original, blank, paper copies of current clinical assessment forms are available as needed to clinical staff.
55% Data Entry and Maintenance
• Enter, clean, and maintain electronic records of client assessment data from psychosocial, mental health, physiotherapy, and other clinical services. Process completed assessment forms (submitted by clinical staff); enter the data into a database; verify that data are correctly entered; detect and resolve data integrity issues. Create documentation of computer file folders and location of dataset files. Name, organize, and back up data files and folders according to a documented convention. Ensure the secure storage of electronic client data, as well as paper forms while in possession, according to confidentiality and data protection policies.
5% Monitor Data Quality
• Collaborate with the M&E Officer to monitor data and data collection processes to ensure adherence to data collection protocols, especially for clinical assessment measures. Identify problems with data collection, including patterns of missing data, internal reliability, problematic content of particular questions, and so on. Collaborate with clinical, research, and administrative staff to identify and resolve data or data systems-related issues. Report deleterious or ongoing data-related issues to the Zonal Manager and CVT Research Department. Ensure that no changes are made to the clinical assessment forms without the approval of CVT Research Department.
• Provide support for regular reports using M&E data for both internal and external audiences. External audiences include quarterly and annual reports to funding agencies as well as reporting to Dabat Activity Info data platform. Internal audiences include monthly reports to the Zonal Manager and HQ teams, requests from CVT Research Department, or ad hoc requests from clinical or administrative staff.
5% Consultation, Collaboration, and Communication
• Consult with CVT staff (i.e., admin, clinical, research) concerning data management, data collection, or monitoring topics as requested. Maintain communication with M&E Officer, clinical staff, and CVT Research Department. Participate in clinical meetings as possible. Gain familiarity with CVT’s work with clients and maintain understanding of current program activities. Ensure knowledge and experience sharing among CVT and the project partners. Provide technical assistance to the project partners as required.
10% Other Duties
• Participate in other program and organization-wide activities, meetings and trainings.
• Complete administrative responsibilities as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Typical office environment
Time spent on the computer is approximately 80%
• Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear and see. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
• Travel: This position might include M&E related travels to sites outside of Dabat, including Alemwech site, depending on project development.
• Adherence to all relevant CVT policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies, including COVID-19 protocols.
• Maintains strict confidentiality of data. S/he is strictly committed to respecting the organization’s confidentiality policy and to not using any information that s/he is exposed to.
• The M&E Assistant is committed not to approaching (potential) beneficiaries without prior approval from supervisor. Adheres to data protection protocols, including responsibility to report known breaches.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Supervisor: Program Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Supervisory Responsibilities: n/a
• Terms of Employment: Initial contract through August 31, 2023 (60 business days of probationary period) and with a possibility of continuation thereafter depending on the funding availability.
Required education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
• Diploma in IT and preferred to degree
• Minimum two (2) years of work experience, including in data entry or management
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Amharic
• Preferred education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
• Bachelor’s degree in a social science, statistics, computer science or a relevant discipline
• Experience with statistical software, such as SPSS.
• Any professional certificates related to data management or M&E
• Experience with online surveys, such as Survey Gizmo, Survey Monkey, etc.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, and Excel)
• Excellent numeracy skills, including comfort with a range of basic arithmetic calculations
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Excellent skills in organization, attention to detail, and time management
• Ability to cope with stress, including working under pressure to meet deadlines
• Ability to take initiative and adapt to changing circumstances and priorities
• Commitment to and understanding of CVT’s vision, mission, values, and principles
• Interest in and commitment to human rights
• Proven ability to work as part of a team, including ability to manage interpersonal conflicts
• Proven ability to work independently, accomplishing tasks as designated in work plan
• Experience with statistical software, such as SPSS.
• Experience with online surveys, such as Survey Gizmo, Survey Monkey.
• Fluency in Amharic and English desirable. Fluency in Tigrigna preferable.
• Advanced degree or other certifications in social science, computer science, program evaluation, etc
Deadline of this Job: 27 September 2022• Diploma in Information Technology /MIS/ Data Base Management / Accounting and Finance /Management /or related fields with 2 years of As Data Encoding experience.