Consultancy for Ethnographic Study on maternity service utilization in pastoralist setting by Amref Health Africa
Deadline of this Job: 25 November 2022
Scope of the consultancy work
To support this evidence generation AMREF Health would like to appoint a consultant with experience to conduct an ethnographic study of the pastoralist health service delivery and provide recommendations on how AMREF health can continue to strengthen the pastoralist primary healthcare services.
The overall objective of this work is to synthesize and consolidate evidence from a focused ethnographic study that will inform AMREF’s co-design and implementation of MNH interventions in pastoralist setting by gaining deeper insights into the experience of pastoralist women’s access to maternity health services, the facilitators and barriers that exist, and the influence of cultural beliefs and practices on these experiences
1. What are health professionals and women perceptions of, and experiences with the maternity health service delivery system in pastoralist setting?
2. How do cultural beliefs and practices influence these women's access to healthcare?
3. What are the existing service delivery modalities in pastoralist setting and what do women and health professionals believe are the facilitators and impediments to obtaining high-quality maternity care?
4. What are the social and gender norms that may affect health seeking behavior and practices
5. How do these women feel about their interactions with healthcare providers in the healthcare system?
6. What are the recommendations around appropriate actions that would support positive and sustained use of such interventions to facilitate/improve access to MNH services
To undertake this anthropological research, we are seeking for an experienced ethnographer currently working (or recently) with pastoralist communities, and ability to conduct focused ethnographic study. The expert should have previous experience on working with pastoralist communities, setting focus group discussions and conducting observations and know the context.
The methods used to collect and analyze data should ensure and meet quality standards. The consultant will prepare or adopt appropriate method and tools, which covers the key areas identified in the key tasks of the study.
The tools should be seen and discussed with Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia before the review starts. Standard tools which are adopted should be used for data collection. Data analysis methods should also be explained in the methods part.
Deadline of this Job: 25 November 2022
Specific tasks to be done by the consultancy firm
The study will include the following activities;
• Meet Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia and JSI head office project staff and gender advisors at the beginning and at the end of the field work.
• Review key project documents and other relevant documents including but not limited to:
o Approved proposal & monitoring protocols
o Gender mainstreaming/integration strategies
o Major project team recommended national and regional Primary Health care strategies, guidelines etc
o Organizational and governmental relevant document
• Discuss with Key partners of the projects from the government sectors at all levels and communities
• Identify and discuss with key informants in relation to the project. These should include local government offices, communities and other key stakeholders
• Develop protocol that clearly defines the methodologies for sampling/ disaggregated by district, data collection, entry, cleaning, compilation, analysis of data, report writing and strategy document outline. This should also include outline the proposed report structure, deliverables, timelines and budget for the study project. Amref health Africa and JSI will approve proposed methodologies, procedures and instruments.
• Develop appropriate data collection tools for the qualitative data collection and compilation formats. The data collection tools will be developed in English and Amref health Africa and JSI will review them and approve their use after translation to local language
• Draft data collection plan and share to Amref Health Africa and JSI ahead of the data collections and so that Amref health Africa and JSI will have a mandate to follow the process directly or indirectly
• In consultation with Amref & JSI, the consultancy firm will recruit data collectors & train the study team;
• The team compositions for the data collectors has to be very well qualified and at least BSc holder or above who has an experience in qualitative date collection, compilation of both secondary and primary data collected
• Coordinate data collection, processing, analysis, management and reporting;
• Develop a 1st draft report along with gender integration strategy and submit to Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia and JSI.
• Develop a 2nd draft report and along with gender integration strategy submit to Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia and JSI
• Conduct a final debriefing at Amref health Africa Ethiopia/JSI Office
• Develop and submit final report and gender integration strategy incorporating all comments given by Amref Health Africa Ethiopia and JSI.
Key activities and tasks
The following key activities and tasks will be done to achieve the intended objectives.
• Desk review of existing evidence: conduct desk review of existing evidence, literatures, national documents, etc. to identify and understand gender barriers and opportunities across PHC for improved access and use of quality RMNCH+N services. This will also help us to identify evidence gaps on gender barriers which might require primary data collection.
• Qualitative study using human center design approach: conduct a qualitative study using human centered design approach to explore, understand, and analyze gender barriers and opportunities across PHC.
• Consultative workshop using the evidence generated from desk review and qualitative study: The evidence generated from the desk review and qualitative study will be used as input to synthesize and formulate recommendations in order to develop gender responsive and integration guide.
• Develop gender responsive and integration guide: develop a gender responsive and integration guide which will provide guidance to the integration of gender across all the project cycles, viz. intervention design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
Period for Submission and deliverables
• Follow the overall time frame of 60 calendar days starting from signing of the agreement to the finalization of report (incorporating all changes and requests from Amref and JSI).
• Submit the inception report that clearly defines the methodologies for sampling and data collection tools in the first week following signing the contract. Final data collection tools will be annexed to the protocol.
• Update Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia and JSI on the progress of the work regularly.
Expected Key Outputs
• Detailed Final proposal: including understanding of the assignment, proposed methodology to be used (for sampling, data collection, and entry, cleaning and data analysis), report structure, deliverables, timelines, budget and CV.
• Final Data Collection Tools.
• First draft of the study report and gender integration strategy.
• Second draft of the study report and gender integration strategy
• Final study report and gender integration strategy and presentations as required.
• Final study report and gender integration strategy: hard copy, complete data set and code book.
Key Deliverables /outcomes
• Desk review report produced
• Qualitative study report produced
• Evidence synthesized and recommendations formulated
• Gender responsive and integration strategy prepared
Submission of the proposal
I. Cover letter: Signed one-page cover letter containing, the name, mailing, address, telephone number and brief relevant information of the applicant.
II. Detail Technical Proposal: In addition to detailed technical matters, the technical proposal shall provide a description of the consultancy firm’s relevant experience including an outline recent experience in similar undertakings and a detailed plan for accomplishing the tasks described in the specific task section.
III. Detail budget/financial proposal: a detailed budget proposal should be submitted.
IV. References: A list of clients for whom similar work has been done together with their addresses and telephone numbers.
V. Annex: CVs showing experience and education background of individuals/experts who will partake in the study
Annexes: Any documents such as curriculum vitae, work experiences and other information, which the applicants feel, will assist the proposal review team in evaluating the proposal may be attached as annexes.
Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia and JSI will not provide copying, printing, vehicle services, data collectors recruitment and data collectors training.
• Advanced degree in public health, health science, gender, social science and other related degree with practical gender specific experience
• Have at least 10 years of experience in the health sector
• Working experience and have a good understanding of the Ethiopian community health system and primary health care
• Experience in conducting qualitative study, community dialogue and problem diagnosis
• Proven experience in conducting gender analysis and developing gender integration strategy/guide
• Previous experience of applying human-centered design technique to design health interventions is an additional asset
• Experience of working in the gender space including gender analysis
• Published work on gender
• Ability to effectively coordinate with government, NGO, and local stakeholders’ essential, an understanding of sectors coordination mechanisms an asset.
• Analytical and conceptual ability, demonstrated understanding of qualitative study design and social research methods
• High quality English report writing and strategy development.
How to Apply
Potential consultancy firms are invited to collect TOR free of charge through one of the below email address starting November 17, 2022 and can submit the proposal till November 25, 2022 using the below emails.
email@example.com and Eyerusalem.Ketema@Amref.org
Our address is
Amref Health Africa, Ethiopia office
Behind Bole Medhanialem Church
Near to Abyssinia Building
P.O.Box 20855, Code 1000