WASH Officer (3)
Jobs at:Save the Children
Deadline of this Job:
15 July 2022
Date Posted: Monday, July 11, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Key Areas Of Accountability:
• Support WASH Coordinator in planning, designing, development and overall budgeting and, preparation of all water roof installations, water trucking and hygiene and sanitation related documents for implementation of public promotion activities.
• Ensure active participation and involvement of woreda water and health offices, local government and community structures and beneficiaries in planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and evaluation of environmental health activities.
• In collaboration with local government and community leaders, identify local skilled and unskilled labor, follow SCI established procedures for their engagement, manage and supervise them, keep track of attendance and work log sheet, prepare and ensure timely payment for their labor.
• Ensure timely procurement of water roof installation materials, manage and be accountable for installation materials on sites in collaboration with community leaders and water management committees.
• Together with Community Mobilizer and Environmental Health Agents (EHAs), mobilize communities for active participation and involvement in planning and implementation for development, operation and maintenance of water facilities including contributing to capital investment and establishment of a cost recovery mechanism for operational costs.
• Lead the process of conducting detailed assessments for project sites, draft layouts and designs of water supply systems, developed in a participatory process that incorporate the needs of the community, including those of women and vulnerable members of the community. Whenever necessary, advice WASH Coordinator on possible relocations based on assessment findings and discussions with woreda administration.
• Participate in bid evaluation and analysis for installation of water and sanitation systems.
• Conduct water quality surveillance and testing, build project and woreda water/health bureaus staff in carrying out water quality testing at water points and households.
• Participate in development of new proposals and review of Wash sector strategy.
• Participate in recruitment and training of WASH Agents and water management committees.
• Perform other official duties assigned by immediate supervisor.
• Promote integration and coordination with the Woreda, partner agencies, and community leaders working in the water and sanitation and hygiene (WASH) sector.
• When assigned by Woreda coordinator and WASH Coordinator, represent SCI at zonal, sector, cluster coordination meetings, and provide prompt feedback.
• To submit biweekly and monthly program activity plans to the Woreda coordinator, Wash coordinator, and be responsible for the implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting of all project activities.
• Submit biweekly and monthly activity reports to wash coordinator.
• Participate in preparation of sector reports for submission to field offices.
• Monitoring and Evaluation:
• Ensure regular monitoring of program activities to determine the success of interventions and recommend changes in program design to the Wash coordinator.
• Participating in baseline and evaluation of Knowledge, Practices and Coverage (KPC) surveys to determine how far sector indicators have been achieved.
• Implement and improve existing water and sanitation monitoring and evaluation tools to ensure their appropriateness and completeness.
• The position has no direct supervisee; however, the jobholder will indirectly supervise one Community Mobilizer (CM) and one (SHP). This includes:
• Mentoring and developing the capacity of the CM and SHPs in carrying out.
• Assessments, water quality testing and promotion of participatory approaches and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities.
Key Working Relationships:
• Working in consultations with; Wash coordinator,
• Working to Support; Community Mobilization Assistant, Sanitation and hygiene Health Agents.
• Coordinate and collaborate with Woreda Water and Health Offices and, Kebele leaders and Extension workers.
• Support capacity building for Water Management Committees and Sanitation and Hygiene volunteers.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• B.Sc. Degree/Diploma in Civil Engineering, Water Supply and sanitation Hydrogeology/hydrology water management engineering, Environmental Engineering and other related field.
• Two years of relevant experience for the Degree holders and 4 years for the Diploma holders in implementation of Construction, related Hygiene & sanitation preferably WASH projects in humanitarian, NGO Proven knowledge of hydrology and Construction management.
• Computer literacy in MS word, Excel and CAD is necessary.
• Fluency in English and Amharic language both spoken and written.
Skills and Abilities;
• Familiarity with the culture.
• Ability to work in stressful conditions, with limited social services, sometimes insecure and limited movements.
• Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and in a highly results oriented work culture.
• Knowledge, skill and experience in participatory methods for promoting ownership.
• Team player who is able to work collaboratively and with people of diverse backgrounds.
• Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
• Commitment to the aims and principles of SC including willingness to abide and enforce the Child Safeguarding Policy. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
• Hardship allowance will be paid 50% of the basic salary for Female staff and 40% of basic salary for Male staff
Additional job responsibilities
• The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
• SC Values are: Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity, and Integrity. To meet the value system, the post holder is expected to demonstrate the following competencies on an ongoing basis.
• Leading Delivering result: Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/organisation.
• Thinking Applying technical and professional expertise: Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards; promotes and shares best practices within and outside the organisation.
• Working effectively with others: Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives; knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
• Communicating with Impact: Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust with others
• We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. The duty station of the position holder will be in Sekota Zuria, Dahana and Ziquala Woredas for Eight Months. This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
How to Apply
• Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found HERE
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.