Temporary (Tigrigna to English) Interpreter/Cultural Liaison
Jobs at:he Center for Victims of Torture (CVT)
Deadline of this Job:
18 November 2022
Date Posted: Friday, November 11, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Internal Vacancy Announcement
The Center for Victims of Torture works toward a future in which torture ceases to exist and its victims have hope for a new life. We are an international nonprofit dedicated to heal survivors of torture and war trauma. We provide direct care for those who have been tortured, train partners around the world who can prevent and treat torture and war trauma, research and advocate for human rights and end the practice of torture. We are headquartered in Minnesota, USA with offices in Africa and the Middle East.
General Description of Role
The Interpreter/Cultural Liaison, based in Dabat and will travel to surrounding areas, and will report to the Psychotherapist/Trainer programmatically and the Administration/Human Resources Officer in Addis administratively. The Interpreter/Cultural Liaison will provide translation and interpretation support for program and administrative activities in Dabat.
• In order to facilitate the communication between expatriate staff of CVT and others, provide interpretation for group, individual, and family counseling activities including assessments, interviews and hiring of staff, supervision of staff, internal and external meetings, logistical coordination, and daily and regular communication among staff, partners, and service providers.
• Provide written translation of materials including, but not limited to, training materials, meeting handouts and minutes, organizational and program forms, internal and external communications, organizational policies, reports, etc.
• Coordinate with other Interpreter/Cultural Liaisons and maintain organized filing system for all translated materials for ready use by all staff.
• Provide oral and written explanations of cultural norms, expectations, and other nuances that may not be immediately apparent to expatriate staff, as necessary and appropriate so as to facilitate appropriate communication between expatriate staff and host/refugee communities.
• Solicit additional explanation from the expatriate staff, as necessary and appropriate, in order to ensure the recipients, clear and well understand their communications.
• Participate and learn through training provided by Psychotherapist/Trainer, exercise sensible and accurate interpretation services in a clinical setting, maintain confidentiality of all information and materials handled, and practice sound self-care to avoid/manage vicarious traumatization.
• Learn about the impacts of torture and trauma on communication and to implement this knowledge when engaging with clients and members of the community.
• Maintain neutrality regarding any sensitive issues such as religion, ethnicity, disability, minority or
• political affiliation
• Strong commitment to serve beneficiaries of CVT’s project regardless their religion, gender, minority affiliation or ethnic/political background
• Is strictly committed to respect CVT’s confidentiality policy and refrain from using any information that s/he will know about a client outside of CVT
• Will not approach (potential) beneficiaries for their involvement in non CVT activities without prior approval of CVT supervisor.
• Keep absolute confidentiality on all information managed. Obligated to report any information to the supervisor when the security of CVT staff and/or of CVT beneficiary might become an issue.
• This job profile can be adapted and changed according to the evolution of CVT activities.
• Must have a Bachelor’s degree in English or related fields and/or relevant professional experiences.
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of English, Tigrgina and Amharic, and excellent written and oral interpretation skills in these languages.
• Excellent communication skills, including empathetic listening skills.
• Ability to remain objective, and communicate professionally with clients, community members, and organizations’ partners.
• Excellent team player.
• Excellent organizational, administrative, and problem-solving skills.
• Self-starter, flexible, and adaptable.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.