TOR for The Preparation of Training Manual on Juvenile Justice Systems to Pro Bono Lawyers
Jobs at:Lawyers for Human Rights
Deadline of this Job:
13 june 2022
Date Posted: Monday, June 06, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• Lawyer for Human Rights (LHR) is a civil society organization established by like-minded lawyers in 2018 and re-registered in September 2019 before the FDRE Civil Societies Organizations Agency in accordance with Proclamation No. 1113/2019. It principally aims to increase the role and contribution of lawyers in the promotion and protection of human rights in Ethiopia. The objectives of the Organization includes increasing the participation and contribution of lawyers in the area of human rights through trainings and other capacity building activities, supporting lawyers across the country and helping them to exchange ideas, information and experience for better protection of human rights and prevalence of human rights; litigating strategic cases in courts and other relevant organs to ensure protection of human rights recognized under the FDRE Constitution and other laws; creating awareness for justice organs about international human rights instruments ratified by Ethiopia; providing free or low cost legal services for victims of human rights violation particularly disadvantaged communities; influencing the government to enact new laws or amend existing ones to give full protection for human rights; familiarizing the idea of human rights defenders among the lawyers etc.
• With a view to achieve these objectives, LHR has been implementing varying projects in collaboration with its donors. Currently, LHR is implementing a project titled “Enhancing Juvenile Justice in Ethiopia” with the support of USAID Feteh (Justice) Activity in Ethiopia. The project aims at improving the human rights situations in the country with respect to juvenile justice and extending reform initiatives to the juvenile justice system. Particularly, it has planned to provide free legal aid services to juveniles between ages of 9-18 years old in federal courts in Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa.
• Ensuring access to adequate and efficient legal representation to juvenile offenders requires building the capacities of lawyers who represent them about juvenile criminal justice system. To do so, LHR plans to organize training for two days to potential pro bono juvenile defense lawyers who could represent juvenile offenders. The aim of the training will be to equip juvenile defense lawyers with knowledge and skills of international, regional and national human rights instruments protecting the rights of juvenile defenders as well as juvenile criminal justice system. By building the capacities of pro bono lawyers we aim to ensure our pro bono lawyers offer quality legal aid services to juvenile offenders. Hence, LHR is looking for an expert to prepare a training manual on the juvenile justice system for the pro bono lawyers.
Objective of the Assignment
• The objective of this assignment includes preparation of a training manual on juvenile justice and deliver a two-days training to pro bono lawyers. The training manual is expected to basically cover human rights, specifically children rights, in international and national human rights instruments pertaining to juvenile justice, juvenile justice system and procedures to be followed in rendering legal aid services.
Scope of the Work
• The training manual is expected to cover major issues in human rights with specific focus on rights of children in criminal justice systems as enshrined in international and national human rights norms. Ideally, the training manual should at least address the following:
• Children’s rights in international human rights systems and under Ethiopian laws;
• Children in the criminal justice system as suspects/defendants;
• Substantive and procedural safeguards for juveniles;
• How to effectively provide legal aid services to juveniles;
• The expert is expected to devise appropriate methodology to produce standard training manual on juvenile justice.
• Expected Deliverables and Timeline
• Submission of draft training manual in 25 working days;
• Incorporation of the feedbacks and submission of the draft of the training manual;
• Delivering a two-days training to selected pro bono lawyers in a training to be organized by LHR;
• At least Master’s Degree in Law, with focus on human rights;
• At least 5 years of relevant work experience in human rights areas in Ethiopia, experience in legal aid services will be given priority;
• Ability to work independently and respond to feedback in a timely and professional manner;
• Experience in developing guidelines and manuals is an asset;
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, and attention to details;
• Excellent skill in written and spoken English;
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
How to Apply
• Interested applicants shall submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, Technical and Financial proposal to the following email: Infolhr2020@gmail.com and CC to: email@example.com
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.