Senior Investment Advisor (DIT) - (04/22 ADD)
Jobs at:British Government
Deadline of this Job:
01 July 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Senior Investment Advisor (DIT) - (04/22 ADD)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
You will work with the DIT Country Director as an integral part of the British Embassy economic team in Addis in the pursuit of the objectives set out in DIT’s Trade Plan for Africa and the Country Plan for Ethiopia. As Senior Investment Advisor, you will lead support for the pipeline of UK businesses already looking to Ethiopia for their next investment, develop awareness-raising communications campaigns and events in key sectors including renewables, private equity and aggro-processing both in the UK and Ethiopia, generating a buzz and excitement among businesses for the Ethiopian market and support those investors already in the market to remain.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the Trade Promotion and Negotiation organisation for the UK. We promote UK businesses overseas and attract foreign investment to our shores. We have 3,000 staff across the globe in over 100 countries. Our aspiration is to address some of the challenges facing the UK, by helping British businesses to internationalise and grow overseas and as well as helping African businesses better engage with the UK and the world.
DIT Africa is one of the nine DIT global networks and is led by Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner (HMTC) for Africa. The Africa Region is exciting and energising and UK firms have a strong presence here, making the UK one of the largest investors in the continent. With some of the strongest growing economies in the world and booming population growth, there are numerous more investment opportunities for UK firms, from tech start-ups in the West to infrastructure in the East. The Network’s role is to promote these opportunities and position the UK as the continent’s number one trading partner and investor.
DIT in Ethiopia is based at the British Embassy in Addis Ababa. We are a core part of the wider economic-focused Economic team comprising of DIT and the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCO), working together to alleviate poverty, improve economic development, and enhance investment and trade between the UK and Ethiopia.
Roles and responsibilities:
• Providing leadership on the investment agenda: You will become the go-to champion on inward investment within the Embassy in Ethiopia, working with the Country Director and Deputy Country Director to shape the team’s strategy in market, shaping the functions of the team as well as identifying the most promising opportunities for investment.
• Establish a world-class investment support function: You will support the pipeline of investment projects, removing barriers to investment wherever you find them. This means providing advice on market entry, leveraging your own network to support companies, promoting investments within the Government of Ethiopia, helping to develop financial viability and acting as an advocate throughout the investment process.
• Presenting investable opportunities to businesses in the UK: You will run a small number of sectoral campaigns, focused on private equity, renewables and aggro-processing, generating significant new interest in Ethiopia where there are substantial investment opportunities on the horizon through both events and external communications.
• Supporting existing investments: You will build, leverage and maintain important client-facing relationships with existing investors in the market, putting in place a strong strategic relationship management system in place for the most critical investors. Through these relationships, you will take steps to support these investors to ensure that they remain in the market.
• Build a network of facilitators to support investments: You will build excellent relationships with the Ethiopian Investment Commission (EIC) and other regional investment bodies, as well as with private sector partners within Ethiopia to support deal flow.
The role will require strong interpersonal and organisational skills, with the ability to influence and build relationships; the confidence to negotiate between senior internal and external government stakeholders will be of particular benefit. It will require close teamwork, supporting UK Embassy Country Plan.
The jobholder will be a confident self-starter, a team player with excellent communication skills, and the ability to network with a wide range of contacts at senior levels in government, international agencies and the private sector. A strong track record of client-facing work in an investment promotion agency or a consultancy would be particularly welcome.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
• Postgraduate degree and/or undergraduate degree and other professional qualification
• At least five years professional work experience
• Proven client facing experience, for example with an investment promotion agency, professional services firm, but preferably in the investment sector in Ethiopia
• A positive, resilient, flexible and adaptable “can-do” attitude that can see way through challenges
• Knowledge of, and a keen interest in sustainable development (additional training will be given)
• Fluency in the language of business and investment
• Excellent interpersonal skills are critical for this role
• Fluent in both English and Amharic
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
• Experience of the following: business development, understanding issues and pursuing strategies together, investment appraisal, deal pipeline preparation, deal brokering, advisory
• Excellent drafting skills
• Demonstrable knowledge of the UK, especially the UK regions and the devolved administrations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
• Experience of working in organisations with a matrix management structure
Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
30 May 2022
Higher Executive Officer (HEO)
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
USD 1,087.40 to USD 1,359.25 (depending on experience and qualifications)
1 July 2022
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
This role provides enormous opportunities to grow and develop given its leadership and cross-Embassy responsibilities. You will have access to the full suite of DIT and FCDO learning and development opportunities including the FCDO’s Diplomatic Academy, training in the UK, and will be encouraged to join DIT’s trade profession. We also provide regular in-house learning opportunities and are committed to supporting further academic opportunities. Our staff who demonstrate great leadership potential are encouraged to apply for the FCDO’s pan-African Emerging Leadership Programme. The British Embassy has a strong commitment to learning and development and all staff are required to agree a learning and development plan with their line manager.
Flexible working requests will be considered favourably, but please note the following:
You may be required to work a few evenings each month.
You may be expected to travel to other cities in Ethiopia, and there may be occasional travel to the UK, and possibly other countries within Africa.
• Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
• Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
• The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
• Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Addis Ababa are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Ethiopia.
• All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
• The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
• Obtain the relevant permit
• Pay the fees for the permit
• Make arrangements to relocate
• Meet the costs to relocation
• Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.