Senior Accountant - Construction
Jobs at:Ethiopian Construction Design & Supervision Works Corporation
Deadline of this Job:
08 November 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• Ethiopian Construction Design and Supervision Works Corporation (ECDSWCo.) is transforming and diversifying from the current consultancy business operations. Taking advantage of the existing ECDSWCo.’s strength and maximizing on the newly emerging external opportunities that are being prevalent with the shifts in Ethiopian Economic Policy – the Corporation is aiming to play a significant role in the success of the Ethiopian Construction Industry -by creating a vibrant business institution that will not only fill the gap that is in the current construction industry but also replace the need for having international construction companies that are dominating the government mega-scale projects.
• To this, the Corporation is emerging as an Engineering and Investment Group. The proposed name of the Group is ‘’Ethiopian Engineering and Investment Group (EEIG)’’. The Group will comprise three main operational business units i.e., Consultancy, Construction and Investment.
• EEIG-Construction business unit key activities are high-end complex construction projects, predominately high-rise commercial and residential buildings, real-estate; infrastructure (roads, railways and airports) & water and energy sector construction. EEIG-Construction alone would grow into a conglomerate of several business units including Piling, underground and foundation Works, Fit-Out, Energy (Solar Solutions), Electro-Mechanical Solution, Facility Management, Landscape and Construction Materials Production.
• EEIG Construction is launched with the vision of being the best construction company in Ethiopia with a strategy of Timeously executing high-end complex projects, by utilizing proactive management skills as a Design and Build Contractor to achieve an optimum return and aspiring to be a competitive and preferred choice that can replace the current dependence on international contractors and deliver excellence. EEIG Construction will uphold Courage, Integrity, Reliability, Value for its People and Innovation as its core values.
• EEIG is going to build a 30 Floors Highrise Headquarter Building in the city centre of Addis Ababa – that will be designed and built by its in-house consultancy and construction business units.
• The Senior Accountant - Construction is responsible to lead the day to day operational activities of the finance department including but not limited to payment preparation, cashbook management, payroll administration, monthly tax declaration and payment etc.
Roles and Responsibilities:
General Accounting and Finance Functions:
• Preparation of various payment vouchers for procurement, overtime allowance, a petty cash advance to project sites etc. as well as ensure the timely follow-up of advance settlements as per the appropriate procedures which are in place.
• Advance and cashbook management.
• On daily basis make the physical cash count and reconcile the same with the cash book.
• Ensure the transactions are properly coded and posted in the system as outlined in the EEIG financial manual.
• Prepare every quarter the ageing report for all payables and receivables and continuously monitoring the liquidation of those balances as per the agreement which is in place and flag long outstanding balances for management for decision making.
• Prepare journal summaries
• Establish, maintain and reconcile the periodic financial transactions as required.
• Perform the monthly bank reconciliation once every month-end and as required.
• Administer and monitor the financial system to ensure that the finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner.
• Assist in preparing income statements, balance sheets, statements of cash flow and statements of change in equity.
• Assist in the preparation of quarterly management reports and another report as requested by management
• Maintain financial files and records which are under his/ her custody.
• Perform the monthly and year-end financial closings of the company’s account as required.
Tax and Audit Compliance:
• Prepare and submit the periodic VAT declaration to the relevant tax office accordingly.
• Prepare, follow-up and settle all tax-related payments to the relevant local tax authorities (income tax, pension tax, VAT, profit tax etc.) as required and continue to making EEIG Construction a tax compliant company.
• Assist by availing oneself and the required financial files during the external audit (both for external and tax audits) in support of the audit process.
• Perform the appropriate audit corrections as per the agreed audit comments as instructed.
• Ensure that employment income tax and pension is properly computed and deducted from the employee salary on monthly basis as per the laws which are in place.
• Check correctness of calculations in computing the net pay of employee’s payroll.
• Prepare and administer EEIG Construction’s monthly staff payroll and ensure the salary transfers to each staff bank accounts on monthly basis.
• B.A. degree in Accounting, Finance or Economics from a recognized university
• Minimum 5 years experience in Accounting/Finance or financial management
• Demonstrated experience working IN a construction firm is an asset, OR experience working WITH affiliated organizations commissioning complex construction projects by hiring construction firms is an asset
• The ideal candidate having international experience/or worked with international companies here in Ethiopia will be given priority.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of financial and accounting procedures especially relevant to the construction industry in Ethiopia
• Knowledge of local finance and accounting laws and regulations in relation to the construction sector.
• Experience and working knowledge of using financial software and/or organizational ERPs is a distinct Advantage
• Proficient user of Ms Office applications with advanced MS Excel and MS Word skills
• Excellent analytical and numerical skills
• Sharp time management skills
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
• Delivering at Pace
• Managing a quality service
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Note Before Applying For This Role
• Ensure you fulfil the minimum set requirement.
• If you fulfil the above, then you are expected to submit through Ethiojobs, your updated CV along with a motivation letter on why you want to be considered for this position.
• All those that do not fulfil the above requirements will be rejected automatically.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.