Re-advertisement - Finance Officer
Jobs at:International Rescue Committee - IRC
Deadline of this Job:
19 June 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• Background: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
• Under the direct supervision of the field finance manager, the finance Officer is responsible for the overall daily routine activities of the finance department, reviewing of documents, preparing of financial reports on timely basis, and mentor of staff under his/her supervision. He/she must be able to ensure both the organizational and donor compliance and improve good coordination among different departments and being proactive on each aspect of the accounting section. The finance officer is responsible to the below duties and responsibilities.
• Handling all aspects of day-to-day operations of accounting department in field office.
• Review Payment requests and PRs as per organization requirement.
• Ensure compliance with IRC procedures and guidelines.
• Actively participate on monthly financial report preparation.
• Review expenditure worksheets for accuracy and completeness.
• Records all cash in office, petty cash, and bank transactions on the excel format using accurate codes.
• Follow up the status of online BVA system and take accurate action on timely basis.
• Good working communication with internal staff and external organization partners to keep the strong working relation for better achievement.
• Preparer a bank reconciliation for field office and send it to main office every month.
• Liaison with field office bank on all banking issues.
• Ensure that statutory deductions are paid on time to avoid any penalty
• Forward to the payroll Administrator every month, an outstanding personnel advances and charges related to T7 for recovery. Ensure that advances taken in a given month are liquidated appropriately.
• Preparing and facilitate training for IRC staff about finance policy & procedure
• Conduct a time sheet audit for field office.
• Serve as technical resource person for the accounting department.
• Coaching and mentoring staff.
• Review Bid analysis submitted by logistic department.
• In liaison with Logistics department, prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations already entered but not captured in financial report.
• Act at all times in accordance with local law and standards of accounting practice.
• Review with the objective of gaining a clear understanding budget guidelines and instructions
• Review funding allocations to enable accurate mentorship to programs and proper coding.
• Provide training to program staff on finance issues.
• Receptive to training provided and to develop his or her technical and professional competence.
• Produce monthly and quarterly reports to be reviewed by Finance Manager/Assistant Finance Controller.
• Assist in budget preparation at the field level.
• Reports any security issues to security focal person.
• Reports any financial irregularities that occur within the IRC office, staff compound and site to concerned body.
• In coordination with supervisor, carry out appraisals for staff in the department.
• Enhance good coordination between finance department and other different department.
• Attend and participate in trainings identified/organized by your supervisor.
• Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Office
• Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Code of Conduct (incountry and World-wide) as per the IRC reporting mechanism. The reporting of violations is an obligation on the part of all staff members
• Assist where vital in undertaking activities that seek to prevent the occurrence of sexual abuse and exploitation of refugees by IRC and other humanitarian workers.
• Performs other duties assigned by supervisor
Education and experience
• BA in Accounting and finance with three years related experience.
• MA in accounting and finance with two years related experience.
• NGO is a plus advantage.
• Familiar with basic computer application and SUN accounting software
• Candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply only through the below IRC On-line recruitment website:
Skills and Abilities:
• Proficient spoken and written English.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Technical and report writing skills
• Basic supervisory/managerial skills.
• Must be comfortable in being a proactive member of the department. Must seek to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions to the level of management appropriate to effect solutions
• Must be able to function optimally in a loosely structured, but complex work environment and to set appropriate priorities and deal optimally with numerous simultaneous requirements.
• Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support from within the organization
• Experience on different donor accounting system, document verification and monitoring skill is preferable.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Candidates who meet the above qualifications; please send your CV and application letter only through IRC career site:
• Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
• Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
• Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
• Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
• Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information:
• Name of the position you have applied for
• Date of application
• Summary of your qualifications and experience
• Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
• Please include at least 3 references from current and former supervisors.
• Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and carries out policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
• Gender Equality: We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
• Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.