Vacancy title:Procurement Senior Officer[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Human Services , Category: Management ]
Deadline of this Job:15 July 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Support Service Senior Analyst who reports to the Project Manager , the Procurement Senior Officer is responsible for effective delivery and implementation of strategic and effective procurement services, for a select group of technically complex goods, services and works, within the specific geographical area and/or project. These services reflect best practices in international public procurement, compliance with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations and procurement policy, rules, regulations and procedure, ensuring appropriate risk management and obtaining the best value for money.
He/she analyzes and interprets the respective rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement.
His/her work is focused in infrastructure procurement including all steps of the procurement process.
Maintaining the highest degree of personal and professional ethics, the Procurement Senior Officer promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Business Unit.
The Procurement Senior Officer works in close collaboration with the Support Services, Programme and project teams in the relevant geographical area or business unit, UNOPS HQs colleagues and Government officials, to successfully deliver procurement services.
1. Implementation of infrastructure procurement
2. Management of procurement processes
3. Implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools
4. Team Management
5. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. In close cooperation with the Project Managers, under the guidance of a technical supervisor, and reporting to the management on central issues related to procurement activities, implements operational strategies and manages procurement, contract, and sourcing transactions, actions and processes for goods, services, and works, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Full compliance of assigned procurement activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies; internal controls and client orientation.
• Implementation of the different steps of the procurement processes, including Pre-Purchasing: Strategy and Planning; Requirements Definition; Sourcing; Purchasing: Solicitation; Management of Submissions; Evaluation; Review and Award; Post Purchasing: Contract finalization and issuance; Logistics; and Contract Management.
• Implementation of strategic procurement for projects assigned in the Business Unit.
• Research undertaken and data provided for Business Unit’s supply market intelligence and analysis.
2. Manages and guides procurement processes for a select group of technically complex goods, services within a given geographical area and/or Business Unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Sustainability embedded along the procurement process.
• Timely and duly prepared procurement plans for projects and monitoring of their implementation.
• Establishment of Long Term Agreements (LTAs) and/or service contracts and other instruments, when necessary, either through standard or emergency procurement procedures in compliance with the Procurement Policy.
• Implementation of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulation.
• Awards recommended based on UNOPS procurement rules and procedures.
• Management of procurement contract, analysis of contract performance against agreed benchmarks and pre-established reporting mechanisms.
• Advice, remedial actions, or solutions to Programme Managers on procurement issues related to the procurement process and project cycle.
3. Implements sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Development and management of the rosters of suppliers.
• Utilization of-sourcing module in accordance with UNOPS Procurement Groups’ goals and standards in this area.
4. Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
• Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for Business Unit personnel on Procurement-related topics.
• Contribute to Procurement knowledge networks and communities of practice by providing collaborative synthesis of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in procurement.
• Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
5. Team Management
• Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
• Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
IV. Impact of Results
The key results directly affect the overall efficiency of the relevant business unit/s and project activities in procurement management, impacting the timely availability of effective goods and services for UNOPS’ programmes. Timely, market-aware, and accountable delivery of goods and services, contribute to office performance, efficiency and client satisfaction, which promote the image and credibility of the team and office as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region served.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
1. Contract type: Local Individual Contract (LICA)
2. Contract level: LICA 9
3. Contract duration : Ethiopia Country Office Approved EPP
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
• Advanced Degree or equivalent preferably in Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management or related field is required. OR
• A first-level university degree(Bachelor Degree) in combination with four (4) years' experience at national or the international level in procurement management may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
• A minimum of two (2) years’ professional experience at national or the international level in procurement management is required.
• Experience in working with a range of stakeholders in developing and developed countries is desirable
• Experience in UN system organizations, preferably in a developing country, is an asset.
• Category Management Two (2) years is required
• Negotiation two (2) years is required
• Relationship Management Skills is an asset
• Experience/knowledge of Google Suite products, especially google forms, sheets, docs and slides is an asset.
• Fluency in written and oral English required.
• Knowledge of Tigrigna language is an asset.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interest applicants should use the link below for submitting their applications.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.