Health and Nutrition Coordinator
Jobs at:Plan International Ethiopia
Deadline of this Job:
19 June 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• The Health and Nutrition Supervisor is responsible for designing and implementation of all emergency and recovery Health and nutrition related activities at local level using participatory and community based approaches. S/he is also responsible to provide technical support and guidance at local level to Wereda experts and other staff working in the area of nutrition. S/he is also responsible for compiling progress reports and documentation and sharing of best practices and lessons learnt in livelihoods.
Dimensions of the Role
• Participating in the district, Zonal and Regional health and Nutrition Technical Working Group. Develop meeting agendas and documentation and dissemination of the technical working group meetings minutes and recommendations
• Direct line management of MHPSS Counsellors
• Providing a surge technical support for MOH staffs in the development and dissemination of messages promoting health, nutrition and IYCF related practices and behaviours targeted
• Developing effective quality improvement standards and approaches for improved quality of clinical health and nutrition care services in collaboration with partners.
• Incorporating cross cutting issues (disability, gender, HIV & AIDS) are mainstreaming in all levels of team activities.
• Generating ideas to strengthen the development of the health and nutrition response.
• Upholding the image and values of Plan at all times. Respect the dignity of beneficiaries, careers and members of the community at all times.
• Ensuring that comprehensive community mobilization is taking place.
• Health and Nutrition activities are carried out in the Nutrition Program managed according to Plan’s & national protocols
• To ensure proper health and nutrition and medical management is provided to the beneficiaries.
• To ensure Plan’s & national protocols are respected and followed in the treatment centers.
• To ensure proper implementation of nutrition/health education sessions.
• To participate in technical staff recruitment, training and supervision
• To evaluate the impact of programs through regular field visits, data collection and reports
• To oversee other field activities such as community mobilization, nutrition and health education sessions and community screening by CDF’s (community nutrition workers and volunteers).
• To monitor program activities to ensure that treatment centers achieve acceptable performance indicators (such as cure rate, defaulter, death, non-response rates) and IYCF implementation based on SPHERE standards.
• Follow & check field activities are accomplished regarding to suitable protocols.
• Request adequate food and non-food items for each distribution sites.
• Create smooth relationship among field staff and recognize team work progress.
• Preparing monthly and quarter reports on overall nutrition activities.
Effectively implemented capacity building activities
• To participate in identifying MoH personnel, partner LNGO’s or INGO’s for collaboration in nutrition activities and/or technical training for management of acute malnutrition and integrating IYCF with other project activities.
• To organize and carry out health and nutrition trainings for partners, especially MoH personnel where possible (e.g. technical workshops, training on SAM guidelines, IYCF and CBN guidelines, etc).
• To follow up and provide ongoing technical support to the activities of the trained partners
• To participate in the evaluation of these activities, and to propose recommendations for developing future capacity building strategies for Plan’s.
Participated in the definition of the Plan’s strategy for health and nutrition
• To propose amendments to the technical strategy as needed.
• To identify and design future nutrition treatment programs according to needs and capacities in the area and relevant information.
• To provide technical justification and technical aspects of new treatment programs as needs arise
• To encourage and facilitate the development of nutrition programs in coordination with other PIE programs
• To ensure integration with other program activities (Livelihood & WASH) at a program design and planning level
Coordinated with Plan- team activities:
• To collaborate and communicate with other Plan program officers (WASH, livelihoods, logistics, etc) to ensure harmonization of activities according to Plan’s mission strategy
• To collaborate with the Project Coordinator, Nutrition Coordinator and Nutrition Advisor at national level and any other Plan resource people in order to ensure the coherence of Plan nutrition activities, integrations, and reports.
• To follow up of the logistics requirements of feeding programs and job-aid materials for IYCF with the Logistics Department and in collaboration with the Nutrition Coordinator in the capital.
• To closely share program information and strategies with WASH and Livelihood departments as well as nutrition capacity building, nutrition surveillance to ensure integration of activities as much as possible.
• To participate in the program strategy, narrative and financial project proposals development and reporting, in collaboration with Nutrition Coordinator, Nutrition Advisor, and project coordinator and with others.
• To inform/update the Project Coordinator on nutrition officer activities on a regular basis.
Collaborated with local authorities and partner agencies:
• To collaborate with local authorities and community for the acceptance of programs and activities
• To liaise with local authorities and MoH personnel regularly, reporting to them and giving them updates on activities.
• To collaborate with the potential partners on the field (health centers, health educators, local committees) to improve the coverage and the efficiency of the programs.
• To collaborate with the health NGOs running local health clinics to set-up and strengthen referral and treatment links of beneficiaries to health facilities (especially EPI and IMNCH).
• To establish and oversee links with other facilities and programs in the area (for example, GFD, school feeding, food for recovery/work programs) where appropriate.
• To collaborate with partners where possible (e.g. UNICEF, WFP etc in nutrition/health/flood assessments in the area that may have an impact on our programs).
• To participate in humanitarian coordination meetings where possible (particularly nutrition cluster at county and regional level) and necessary, in collaboration with the Nutrition Coordinator and Project Coordinator.
Timely submitting all expected reports:
• To participate in nutrition treatment program reports for external release which are validated by Project
• Coordinator, Nutrition Coordinator and Tech. Advisor and disseminated to the partners accordingly.
• In coordination with the Project Coordinator, to co-facilitate the trainings and compile training reports.
• Monthly technical program reports to be sent to Project Coordinator
• Monthly activity report to be sent to Project Coordinator including the achievements of the team for the past month and objectives for the following month.
• Monthly cash forecasting to be sent to the Project Coordinator with follow up of programme spending
• Donor reports: quarterly/interim and final reports to be sent to the Project Coordinator.
• To participate in writing proposals for new projects and funding under the direction of the Project and Nutrition Coordinator.
• End of mission and handover reports to be sent to the Project Coordinator before end of mission.
• Monthly partner reports (UNICEF, WFP) to be sent to Project Coordinator.
• Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
• BSC in Health, Nursing and other relevant fields of study
• Minimum over 4 year’s relevant experience and with this at least 2 years relevant experience in an international NGO or similar organization Knowledge of policy and practice in the field of emergency nutrition intervention, IYCF and health.
• Experience in developing and monitoring budgets.
• Computer literate in word processing and excel packages.
• An understanding of child rights and their protection and fulfilment in the development context.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; both in English & Amharic
• Experience on pastoral community in particular in emergency project is an advantageous.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• The closing date for the application is June 19, 2022. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the below link.
For Internal Applicants:-
For External Applicants:-
• This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
• Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
• Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
• Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
• Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.