Financial Management Specialist Consultant for Amhara Region RHBs
Jobs at:ABH Partners PLC
Deadline of this Job:
27 November 2022
Date Posted: Friday, November 18, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• The COVID-19 pandemic has been affecting the globe at a devastating rate disproportionately both in all low and high-income countries, including Ethiopia, and leading them into difficult crises. The crises are challenging the health status, delivery of essential services, and economy, particularly in the most affected segments of the population, families, and children who are already vulnerable due to socio-economic exclusion, or those who live in overcrowded settings.
• The government of Ethiopia, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, has strengthened its preparedness and response efforts. As part of the response strengthening, the government of Ethiopia and the International Development Association (IDA) have signed a bilateral agreement for COVID-19 Emergency Response project. The project aim, as part of the multiphase programmatic approach (MPA) program, is to prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 and strengthen national systems for public health preparedness and response in Ethiopia.
• MOH is responsible for the overall administration of the project fund which needs considerable efforts to plan, administer, and follow-up. Other federal level implementers, RHBs, other regional level implementers and zones are also responsible for the administration of their respective project funds and procurement activities which need considerable efforts to plan, prepare TORs, evaluate-tenders, award contracts and follow-up implementations.
• For the effective implementation of this project, RHB is looking for a Financial Management Specialist who will be responsible for the overall financial management of the project, ensure the maintenance of sound financial arrangements in consistent with agreements, manuals and project document throughout the life of the project. The Financial Management Specialist will work closely with project team and MOH Finance and Procurement Directorate. The Financial Management Specialist will provide the overall supervision and guidance to the project at RHB, zones and woreda level on finance issues and she/he will be the focal person responsible for finance aspects of the project.
• Purpose of the position:
• To ensure that the financial management arrangements of the project are providing assurance that the funds of the project are used for intended purposes and that the financial management arrangement continue to be adequate.
• The Financial Management Specialist is responsible for the Financial Management arrangements of the project at regional level and will ensure the maintenance of sound arrangements throughout the life of the project consistent with agreements, manuals and project document and will work closely with project team at regional level, other regional implementers and MOH Finance department. The Financial Management Specialist will provide the supervision and guidance to the project regional, zone and woreda level implementers on FM issues and she/he will be the regional focal person responsible for FM aspects of the project.
The Financial Management Specialist will be accountable to Finance and Procurement Directorate and shall carry out the following activities:
• Responsible for the financial management aspects of the project at regional level liaising with MOH, other regional level implementers, zones and woredas; Supervise, follow up and provide guidance on the financial management aspects of the project at regional level;
• Maintain adequate financial management arrangements at regional level including (a) budgeting, (b) flow of funds; (c) accounting policies to be followed; (d) accounting systems; (e) chart of accounts; (f) internal controls (g) reporting mechanism; (h) auditing arrangements; and (i) staffing requirements aimed at producing accurate and reliable information regarding project resources;
• Monitor the project performance from the financial management point of view including on the fund flow to the regional implementers, zone, and woreda levels. Monitor funds received from MoH.
• Ensure all regional and zone implementing entities have opened project specific bank accounts
• Carry out prudent accounting and reporting on the use of financial resources in compliance with the requirements of the Government of Ethiopia and the World Bank.
• Use government internal control procedures and where there are gaps, design and install internal control systems to help guide the management of project to achieve program objectives. Adhere to or follow up the adherence there of the internal control procedures,
• Ensure computerized accounting system is used, chart of accounts are applied, and prepare periodic financial reports of the project.
• Support the project in budgets and budget monitoring (Reviewing, justifying, strengthening and approving budget utilization report). Support the project in the preparation of revised project cost estimates by project categories, components and activities at regional level.
• Prepare monthly quarterly, and annual cash flow projections and monitor effective disbursement of funds. Prepare all relevant financial reports to the government and the MoH to be submitted to the World Bank after consolidation. For the government based on the requirements of government procedures. For the World Bank, as per the deadline for submission of quarterly Interim Financial Reports (IFRs) to MoH as indicated in the project’s FM manual. He/she is expected to consolidate the IFRs received from regional level implementers and zones.
• Have project accounts audited at regional level - Make sure that all accounting information is made available to internal and external auditors and answer queries regarding accounting and financial records and statements
• Maintain relevant documentation including Project documents like PAD, PIM,, etc; In addition, ensure availability of accounting documents like Payment Vouchers, Cash Receipt Vouchers and Journal Vouchers, Goods Receiving Vouchers, Goods/Store Issue Vouchers, and Goods Return Vouchers; Working formats like store control cards, bin cards and Fixed Assets registers, etc.
Ensure that outstanding audit issues (as per audit findings) and recommendations are well taken and the appropriate corrective actions are taken. Submit status report for actions taken on the audit findings to MoH for consolidation and submission to the World Bank.
The consultant will be directly recruited by third party HR firm, and reports to the respective RHB finance and procurement directorate.
The expert will be based in the project implementation unit in the respective region and will travel to zones and woredas for support and supervision.
Expected Deliverables and Time frame:
• Deliverables • Deadline
• Report on financial management and manual development & implementation • Initial & Bi-annual
• Regular Update on code classifications and periodic financial report • Monthly
• Accounting & reporting on the use of financial resources • Monthly
• Regular update on cash flow projections and budget monitoring • Monthly
• Regular update on management of signed contracts • Monthly
• Monitoring report on project performance from financial management point of view. • Bi-annual
• Report on supervision and guidance provided to the project and MoH • Quarterly
• Report on review of world bank disbursement data base for this project • Quarterly
Interim unaudited financial reports Within 45 days of each quarter
• Update on facilitated project accounts audits & submit the audit reports • As- required
• Submission of report on overall financial management of the projects consistent with agreements, manuals, and project • Annually
• Payment Modality & schedule:
• The fees for this contract shall be paid on monthly basis based on the submission of monthly reports against the deliverables indicated above.
Expected educational background and experience:
• MA/MBA/BA degree in Accounting Finance
• At least 10 years of working experience for graduate degree holders or 8 years for post graduate degree holders, preferably with experience in the areas of internationally financed development programs or World Bank guidelines and procedures.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft word, Excel and Peachtree Accounting software.
• Good Command of English speaking and writing
• Work experience in the respective region is advantageous
• Demonstrative experience with the health sector is preferable
• Familiarity with the WB projects and ability to use the Bank’s online financial and procurement application systems is advantageous
• Communicating in a credible and effective way
• Fostering integration and teamwork
• Building and promoting partnership and multi-sectarianism
• Moving forward in changing environment
• Strong analytical skills
• Promotes knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas,
• Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
• Ability to work in a multicultural and stressful situations.
• Ability to work in team and independently.
• Excellent language skill (spoken and written) in English.
• Excellent skills in basic Microsoft office.
Workstation: At the respective office of the Regional Health Bureau
• The consultant will not be provided lodging and/or meals
• The consultai1t will use his/her own materials, i.e., computer/laptop, phone etc.
• For the duty travel, the consultant will be provided rented car by ABH and DSA as per the guideline.
• The consultant will be paid monthly by ABH upon completion of deliverables as indicated on this TOR and approved by the supervisor
Policy both parties should be aware of:
• ABH will manage all the administrative issues and aspects based on HR' policies and procedures.
• All remuneration must be within the contract agreement through the ABH Partners Plc
• No contract may commence unless the contract is signed by both ABH and the consultant.
• Travel will be facilitated and managed by the ABH Partners Plc in agreement with UNICEF.
Consultants will not have supervisory responsibilities or authority on UNICEF budget.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.