Field Accountant (Maternity Cover for six months)
Jobs at:Action Against Hunger
Deadline of this Job:
28 August 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children and we enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 8,000 staff in over 50 countries, our programs reached 17 million people in 2019.
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1984 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions (Oromia, Somali, Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, and Gambella) with a portfolio of 20m USD/year of emergency, resilience building, research, and innovation programs. We have a country team of around 600 staff in 17 regional and satellite offices. Our main donors in Ethiopia in 2020/2021 are BHA, ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, UNICEF, GFFO, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, CIAA, and others.
I. Summary of position
• Manage the field office Cash and Bank Transactions.
• The Field Accountant role’s purpose, engagement and delivery is:
· Purpose (The substantive focus of the job encompassing scope, depth and difficulty of work both conceptual and applied)
• Manage the petty cash and bank transaction of the field office
• Effect payments in cash, by Cheque or through bank transfer letter in respect of the Cash Management Policy
• Ensure Cash Hour is respected bearing in mind that flexibility is required for emergency situations approved by the management
• Check the completeness and compliance of supporting documents before processing the payment
• Give feedback to responsible department/person upon presentation of incomplete supporting documents on timely fashion
• Prepare Cash Payment Voucher/ Cheque Payment Voucher and ensure it is authorized by the authorized body before the payment
• Prepare Cheque payments and present to signatories for signature based on the level of signatories in the cash management policy
• Prepare Withholding tax receipt for suppliers in case of transactions above the minimum WHT exempted amount
• Make the Payment Vouchers signed by the payee
• Pay monthly salary of capital staffs through bank transfer
• Release advances requested upon validation and in respect to the advance policy
• Ensure the advance is recorded on the advance book and the recipient signed while collecting the advance
• Ensure all advances collected are settled before the end of the week either in cash or complete and appropriate transaction supporting documents
• Translate transaction supporting documents as needed
• Post transactions in cash books and bank books based on the source of transaction on daily basis
• Ensure standard descriptions are used while posting the transactions
• Charge transaction on the appropriate budget and budget line
• Ensure transactions are given appropriate analytical axis codes (account codes, project codes, third party)
• Perform bank reconciliation every month
• Perform reconciliation of book balance against cash balance in safe box on daily basis
• Execute weekly cash count with line manager
• Ensure there is no outstanding advance at the end of the month
• Close the monthly accountancy latest at the last working day of the month
• Execute the monthly cash count at the last working day of the month
• Ensure high quality and timely accountancy of field office is produced
• Archiving of supporting documents for all transactions of the month
• Perform cash withdrawal from bank for replenishment of safe/cash boxes
• Keep updated information on bank balance and provide information to the Senior Field Finance Officer for treasury forecast purpose and other staffs upon request
· Engagement: (The focus of interaction both internally and externally needed to deliver a service seek collaboration and build effective partnerships)
• Ensure good relations with financial partners (bank, tax office, other financial service providers, etc.)
• Provide out of base support upon request of coordination office
· Delivery: (The focus on the execution of the work and the role on the team for supporting business/operational functions in terms of timeliness and quality)
• Settlement of monthly bills
• Pay pension and tax to authorities within the same month of the transaction
• Pay Expatriate staffs Cost of Living and Perdiem on the first working day of the month
II. Supervisory Responsibilities
III. Gender Equality Commitments
• Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
• Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
• Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
Value and respect all cultures.
IV. Fiscal Responsibility
V. Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
VI. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
Degree in Accounting and minimum of two years practical experience (INGO experience is advantageous)
Understanding of the local culture & language is necessary
Required Skills & Competencies
Good command of the English language, Accounting software ,Strong Analytical skills, Strong planning skill, Ability to forecast, Computer skill, Good oral and written Communication Skill, Decision making skill, Problem-solving skills, Ability to work to deadlines
Professionalism, Team Work, Proactive, Motivational, Autonomy
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
If you are interested, can apply with none returnable CV, Covering Letter with “Field Accountant ” written in the subject line, and three references
NB: Only short listed applicants will be, communicated on and selection process includes technical test and an interview
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.