Cash Disaster Risk Reduction Officer
Jobs at:International Rescue Committee - IRC
Deadline of this Job:
10 July 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Cash Disaster Risk Reduction Officer
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The IRC is planning to undertake emergency cash distribution and establishing and running community-based disaster risk management in West Guji zone selected three woredas. The aims of the cash transfer are to support vulnerable all people meet their basic needs and protect livelihoods during emergencies through multipurpose cash transfer/cash grant.
The project Officer position is dedicated to the implementation of programming crafted to initiate support and strengthening of cash transfer programming and community-based disaster risk management. The Program Officer- Cash/DRR is the primary field-level position for planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of cash-based intervention and community-based disaster risk reduction related activities in West Guji zone. The Position can be tasked with implementing components of DRR activities (during pre and post recovery activities) and cash transfer activities. The Officer spends most time in the field, identifying target communities, establishing relationships with community leaders, establishing community-based disaster risk management committees, leading all aspects of field-level operations.
Successful implementation of cash transfer and CMDRR related activities
Undertake frequent participatory vulnerability and capacity assessments using standard tools
Participate in targeting and verification target groups for cash transfer activities
Community mobilization and sensitization for cash transfer activities
Establish and strengthen CMDRR committees and link to formal structure
Maintain data base for target clients
Train target groups in community-based disaster risk management/or participatory disaster risk management
Establish and maintain transparent, functional relationships with target communities
Ensure daily activities at the field level follow implementation guidelines
Support target clients t develop contingency plans
As appropriate and vital, mediate any conflicts between beneficiaries and IRC.
Work closely with woreda and zonal line offices particularly agriculture and rural development office
• Grant Implementation
• Apply technical knowledge and skills in relation to CMDRR/ cash transfer to implement and/or assist in community delivery of program activities
• Promptly identify and recommend solutions to technical issues in relation to disaster risk management
• Coordinate progress against grant workplan; promptly identifying any current or potential delays
• Prepare Purchase Requests for program supplies/activities and undertake field procurement as designated and authorized
• Coordinate program supply inventory levels; perform monthly spot-checks on program inventory
• Work with and provide timely technical support to the IRC’s implementing partners; maintain respectful and constructive relations with partner staff
• Work with schools/ community-based organization to promote awareness/ knowledge in disaster risk management
• Undertake Community sensitization, targeting and verification of target clients
• Fully comply with IRC safety and security procedures and provide input to security monitoring and assessments to enable and promote a safe and secure environment for program implementation
• Identify and engage with beneficiary communities, public (research institutes private sectors (inputs suppliers
• Train community members and key authorities in CMDRR
• Grant Monitoring & Reporting
• Ensure all monitoring activities are fully detailed, including systematic and timely data collection as required under the grant and for IRC M&E purposes
• Produce/contribute to IRC and donor reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly, and annually) on grant activities, indicators, and achievements
• Assist in the collection of data, assessments, and proposal development for the sector.
Coordination & Representation
• Work collaboratively with IRC logistics and finance staff as required to process Purchase Requests and Payment Vouchers
• As requested, undertake/participate in liaison, coordination, and information sharing activities with national NGOs
• Education and experience
• Minimum BSC degree (MSC Preferred) in Disaster risk management (CMDRR), agricultural economics and other related fields
• Minimum two years professional experience in disaster risk management
• INGO experience preferred
• Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
• Fluency in English and) preferred or required
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Candidates who meet the above qualifications; please send your CV and application letter only through IRC career site:
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information:
• Name of the position you have applied for
• Date of application
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.