Associate Logistics Officer, UNOPS IICA-1 Manager of the Finance Department
Jobs at:UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Deadline of this Job:
14 July 2022
Date Posted: Friday, July 08, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Associate Logistics Officer maintains impartial, ethical and customer-oriented relations with suppliers, contractors and partner organizations; exchanges information with counterparts in other UN agencies, and International Organizations within the limits established by UN /UNHCR Rules and performs joint logistics actions if, as and whenever necessary. The incumbent will support the coordination of the delivery of assistance from the regional warehouse, if applicable and will liaise with SMS staff who manage the Global Stockpiles, the Global Asset and Fleet Management, if and as required and if applicable.
Contacts are predominantly with other UN agencies, Implementing Partners and Government Departments on relevant subject matters at the working level.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 130 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
A full-scale humanitarian and protection crisis is ongoing in and around Ethiopia’s Tigray, Amhara and Afar regions since armed conflict broke out in early November 2020. Over 1.1 million internally displaced persons, refugees, returnees, and affected populations benefitted from UNHCR and partners’ protection interventions since January in northern Ethiopia. While ensuring access to basic services, UNHCR provided 142,886 displaced individuals with core relief items in Afar, Amhara and Tigray regions since January 2022.
The humanitarian situation across Northern Ethiopia is deeply concerning, with 2.6 million internally displaced persons, over 240,000 returnees and 97,421 refugees & asylum seekers in the Afar, Amhara and Tigray regions. Over 17 months into the conflict, the overall security situation remains complex and fluid, hindering effective delivery of lifesaving assistance to the most affected populations. Humanitarian needs have risen dramatically, with over 9.4 million people in urgent need of food and other aid. The security situation along the Tigrayan borders with Amhara and Afar continued to deteriorate, creating population movements. In Afar, the refugee camp of Barhale was reportedly attacked and destroyed. In Amhara, the local authorities and humanitarian continue to receive, support and relocate thousands of IDPs from the Oromia and Tigrayan crisis. In Tigray, the de facto blockage coupled with limited access of commodities such as fuel, cash, medicines, and telecommunication services continue to hinder humanitarian service deliveries. The crisis has also exacerbated protection concerns such as gender-based violence and imposed undue burden to vulnerable populations, forcing them to rely on negative coping mechanisms to survive.
Considering the foregoing therefore, under the overall technical supervision of the Supply Officer, the operation requires the services of a dedicated support of supply professional who, in coordination with the relevant units provide capacity / delivery in the areas of Supply Management for the Field Office operation.
• The incumbent is normally supervised by the Supply Officer or other senior staff with logistics oversight function who defines the objectives and provides general guidance and normally supervises some staff and/or AWF. The incumbent will also refer to UNHCR manuals and relevant policy papers.
• The incumbent will support effective logistics operations that enable the office to meet the needs of POCs as well as timely delivery of quality goods and services to them. Further, s/he will contribute to the maintenance of logistics infrastructure that is robust and flexible enough to accommodate the needs of the operation and that enables timely emergency responses, along with effective partners and/or contractors to support activities.
Duties and responsibilities
• Support all activities pertaining to the logistics function including planning, transport, customs clearance, warehousing, asset and fleet management, as applicable.
• Prepare plans for delivery of relief and other non-food items according to the operational needs and provide regular updates.
• Ensure accurate and comprehensive records on logistics activities and provide timely reports and updates both periodically and on request.
• Coordinate with Emergency Supply Unit, freight forwarders, and emergency operation for the release of the relief items.
• Ensure that applicable exemptions and approvals are obtained in a timely manner (i.e. tax exemption, import customs clearance, waivers etc.).
• Ensure management of incoming pipeline of goods in accordance with prevailing policies, rules and regulations.
• Manage warehousing according to “Best Practices” and UNHCR rules and regulations.
• Manage and oversee the release and transportation and of relief and other non-food items.
• Provide action plans based on asset management reports, customized reports, and gather information on all assets and provide in-depth reports periodically and when requested.
• Oversee regular physical verification of PPE and their proper management.
• Ensure that safety and security of stocks is maintained throughout the warehouse cycle.
• Oversee and ensure systematic conduct of warehousing processes.
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
• Field(s) of Education: Bachelor’s degree in the Following Fields
• Logistics Supply Chain Management Business Administration
• Economics International Commerce
• or other relevant field
• Relevant Job Experience
• Minimum 3 years of experience in progressively responsible functions in supply/ logistics. Solution-oriented and capacity to adapt to emergency situations and work under stress. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the capacity to interact with a variety of cultural and educational backgrounds. Excellent computer skills as well as proven experience in database and statistics management.
• Experience in dealing with Emergencies and in interagency logistics coordination in emergency contexts in particular. Experience in logistics or warehousing.
• Language requirements
• Fluency in the official UN working language in the country,
• Knowledge of the local language would be useful
• Ability to work in complex and often difficult working environment,
• Given the dynamics, need and urgency and complexity of the operation, a candidate with experience in the operation, local context, easily deployable to the country will be considered as priority.
• Computer Literacy
• PeopleSoft Supply Chain Management
• Supply Planning
• Customs clearance
• Warehouse Management
• Asset Management
• Fleet Management
• UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
• UNHCR Procurement Rules and Procedures
• Organizational Awareness
• Teamwork & Collaboration
• Commitment to Continuous Learning
• Client & Result Orientation
• Empowering and Building Trust
• Managing Performance
• Judgement and Decision Making
• Analytical Thinking
• Planning and Organizing
• Stakeholder Management
• The successful candidate will be based with the team in UNHCR Field Office Semera, Ethiopia.
• The position is for initial one year and the start date is in July 2022. It is a full-time role with working hours starting from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.