Jobs at:Islamic Relief
Deadline of this Job:
19 April 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Post Title: Assistant Driller
Duty Station: Mobile, working in IRE operational areas particularly in Somali, Oromia and Afar regional State
Reports to: Chief Driller
Salary: As per the organizations scale
Duration: One year
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities - regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Jigjiga, Hargelle, Elkere, Bare, GG and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa, Awra and Gulina; Oromia regional State, West Harergeye, Chiro and Meayso Woredas and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us
We are looking for talented people to join us in making a difference to the lives of millions. We want people with integrity, people who are fair, impartial, honest and truthful. If you think you embodied these values then this is the place for you and your career. We promote learning organization features.
Assistant driller main function will be assisting the chief driller in charge of drilling activities and will perform drilling activities only with the consent of the chief driller. He will be reporting to the Chief Driller and will be responsible for the drilling of shallow wells and deep wells. includes the follow up of the drilling machine and compressor service, ensure the drilling machine and the drilling bit and other materials are in a position to complete the drilling of the intended wells. Ensure for proper operation and maintenance of the PAT-400 drilling machine and compressor. Control resources in the field and thereby make certain for proper utilization of manpower, material and equipment allocated for well drilling operations. And facilitate the procurement of materials, the mobilization of materials to the drilling sites, involve in drilling of shallow wells in consultation with the chief driller, installation of surface casing, installation of casings as per the advice of the hydrogeologist, installation of pumps and facilitate the construction of headworks. The responsibilities of assistant driller include managing laborers of rig workers, enforcing safety and efficiency, and ensuring all workers follow legal regulations. strong communication and listening skills.
• Responsible to assist Chief driller in overall activities of the drilling operation, and maintenance of drilling machine, tools and equipment’s necessary for water well drilling operations.
• Assist mobilization and demobilization of drilling machine, manpower and equipment’s to and from drilling sites including compressor, drilling bit, drilling cylinder and casings and other required materials;
• Assist the Chief Driller in ensuring appropriate type of drilling techniques and methods are applied during drilling.
• Support drilling of the shallow well to the target depth in consultation with the chief driller;
• Facilitate proper setting of the drilling rig and use of proper tools, installation of surface casing, blind casing, and screen casings;
• Participate in well pump test operation and Collect water quality samples in consultation with chief driller;
• Assist installation of pumps and the construction of the shallow well;
• Collaborate in regular service and maintenance of the drilling rig, compressor and trucks along with the chief driller;
• Properly maintain the lithological and other relevant data for casing arrangement and assist the hydrogeologist for the same;
• Help in the assurance of completion of wells according to the design made by the superintendent of the well drilling operation.
• Collaborate with the chief driller in installation of appropriate types of casings, packed with river gravels, developed and sealed with sanitary sills.
• Provide technical assistance to the chief drillers and unskilled laborers involving in well drilling operations.
• Help the chief driller in keeping records and writing of activity reports weekly/monthly as required for updated and follow-ups
• Responsible to maintain good working relationship among subordinate staffs and to local authorities and the community in which the drilling operation is conducted.
• Perform other duties directed by the Chief Driller under his capacity.
Qualification/Experiences and Skills Requirements
• Diploma or equivalent in a relevant discipline in mechanical studies and or Electricity with extensive vocational trainings specifically on water schemes development and machinery handling; at least 2 years of relevant drilling and WASH technical experience;
• Deep understanding and usage of huge machineries. Competence in active support of operating drilling machines
• Thorough knowledge various geographical and topographical areas particularly Ethiopian lowlands.
• Demonstrated knowledge and skill of mechanical processes, tools and maintenance of heavy trucks and drilling equipment in order to suitably care, maintain and management expensive/critical equipment
• Experience working in a cross-cultural setting; field experience working in Ethiopia, preferably with another International Non-Government Organizations
• Good communication skills and strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relations with multicultural and multi ethnic teams, including working with partner organizations
• Experience of training and capacity building and ability to develop local community capacity with good mentoring and coaching skills
• Ability to have a strong commitment to safety and environmental considerations;
• Ability to work in hardship and longer hours
• Ability to travel to remote worksites for extended periods of time;
• Strong commitment and sympathy to core Islamic Relief Values
• Preferably having 3rd grade driving license
• Preferably knowledge of the area, custom, and language
• Ability to communicate information in writing and verbally so others will understand;
• Well fit physically and healthy
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
• Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
• You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
• Closing date for the application is April 19, 2022.
• Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.
• Female candidates are highly encouraged
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.